The Hospital of God makes grants to other voluntary organisations. Its area of grant making is the ancient diocese of Durham which consists of Hartlepool, Stockton, Darlington, County Durham, Sunderland, Gateshead, South Tyneside, North Tyneside, Newcastle upon Tyne and Northumberland. We aim to support charities working in lower profile areas of work that reach people who are on the edges of society.
Examples of recent grants include support for organisations that work with asylum seekers, prisoner's families and people with drug problems. Grants can be from one to three years and up to £3,000 per year.
Grant Making Criteria
All applications are assessed for the values underpinning the work against the following criteria:
- Whether it enhances the ability of the individual or the community to achieve self determination.
- Whether the work can be seen to directly benefit people who are disadvantaged.
- The evidence of the need for the project for which a grant is sought.
- The ability of the applicant organisation to deliver the service.
Grants are not given for the following:
- Capital works or appeals
- Education/travel/adventure projects
- Training/conferences and feasibility studies
- Medical equipment and related projects.
- Organisations that do not have a base in the north east.
Procedure for Applying for a Grant
The Hospital of God does not accept grant applications by email. Any email applications will be deleted unopened. This is for reasons of IT security as we do not open emails or attachments from unknown sources.
All applications must be sent by post to The Estate Office at Greatham.
Applicants should ensure that envelopes have the correct postage applied as the Hospital of God will not pay excess postage or collect mail with underpaid postage.
Grant applications should consist of not more than two sides of A4 and should provide information on:
- Description of organisation
- Description of project
- How it is to be delivered
- Evidence of need for the project
- Amount requested and how it is to be spent
This should be accompanied by the latest set of audited accounts and/or annual report. Also please stipulate the name of the payee in order that we can issue any grants cheque correctly should you be successful in your application. Potential applicants are welcome to contact the Director at the Hospital of God for an informal discussion before applying.
Grants Committee Meetings Timetable
Trustees meet three times throughout year to consider applications.
2018 meetings are as follows:
Tuesday 29th May - Applications should be received by Friday 27th April 2018 - PLEASE NOTE THAT DUE TO UNFORESEEN CIRCUMSTANCES THIS MEETING WILL NOW TAKE PLACE ON TUESDAY 12 JUNE 2018
Tuesday 25th September - Applications should be received by Friday 31st August 2018